About Waterbound KooikerhondjeWaterbound Kooikers is a small kennel in Alvin, Texas, USA.
Waterbound Kooikerhondje have each been carefully selected for their diverse pedigrees.
Our dogs live in the house with our family as pets first.
Our dogs have been imported from Finland, Hungary, and Switzerland as well as from the United States.
Our dogs are tested for all of the recommended health screenings.
Waterbound Dogs Undergo 5 Health Screenings
1. VON WILLEBRAND DISEASE (vWD)
Testing is available through Utrecht University of Veterinary Medicine in the Netherlands by blood sample. All breeding stock is required to be tested for the carrier status.
2. HEREDITARY NECROTIZING MYELOPATHY (ENM)
A DNA blood test is available to screen for carrier status of ENM through Utrecht University of Veterinary Medicine in the Netherlands by blood sample. All breeding stock is required to be tested for the carrier status.
3. PATELLA LUXATION
Dogs used for breeding should be free or only minimally affected with patella luxation and should carry a valid Orthopedic Foundation for Animals’ (OFA) certificate.
4. HIP DYSPLASIA
Ask a qualified veterinarian to x-ray your dog and submit results to Orthopedic Foundation for Animals’ (OFA). All breeding stock should be tested.
5. EYE DISEASE
It is important to have Kooikers examined by a board certified Veterinary Ophthalmologist and registered with CERF, the Canine Eye Registration Foundation.
Waterbound puppies are from carefully researched pedigrees.
The Volhard Puppy Aptitude Test is performed at 49 days to help place puppies in the appropriate home.
Waterbound litters are raised using the “Superstar Program” as described in The Breeder’s Guide to Superstar Dogs.
During my 33 years experience showing and breeding dogs, I have titled dogs in conformation, obedience, rally, agility, fly ball and field.
- AKC Breeding Basics
- ABC’s of Dog Breeding, Breeding Systems
- ABC’s of Dog Breeding, Genetics, Part 1
- ABC’s of Dog Breeding, Genetics, Part 2
- How Nutrition Influences Reproduction
- Whelping & Medical Intervention
- 2015 Canine Breeder Excellence Seminar – UCDavis
- Managing the Valuable Stud Dog – Marty Greer DVM
- Managing the Valuable Brood Bitch – Marty Greer DVM
- The Top 10 Things Experienced Breeders Can Do to Improve Neonatal Survival – Marty Greer DVM
- The Pink Paw Program-Breast Cancer Awareness for Dogs and Cats – Marty Greer DVM
- Canine Theriogenology for Dog Enthusiasts
- Animal Behavior and Welfare
- Canine Population Genetics